Monday, August 17, 2015

Paul McCartney & John Lennon -DOTM047


The celebrities quoted today were suggested by Craig of the DisAfterDark podcast. The DisAfterDark podcast takes place in the Mouses Head pub in the United Kingdom. They describe the show like this:  "Yet another Disney Podcast, probably containing childish grown up language for immature adults." I really enjoy the show. Check it out at disafterdark.com

 Links to Craig and show he cohosts with be in the show notes for episode 47 of Daggers Of The Mind.

 

@bcl1973 @disafterdark 

 

https://itunes.apple.com/podcast/disafterdark-disney-podcast/id499831329?mt=2

 

http://www.disafterdark.com/

 

----------------------------------------

 

Paul McCartney

 

“We were a savage little lot, Liverpool kids, not pacifist or vegetarian or anything. But I feel I've gone beyond that, and that it was immature to be so prejudiced and believe in all the stereotypes.”

 

Hey, grow up! Of course in many ways NOT growing up, keeping that sense of wonder, your creativity, etc is perfectly fine and actually best, but what about those immature and petty things we used to cling to before we learned what the world was all about?

There was a girl I dated for a couple of years in late junior high, into high school. Thinking back, I am totally embarassed about the childish way I treated her.  I was after all, a child. This haunted me for years, we all grew up and her and my wife became acquainted and became fast friends. Once my daughter and I encountered her at a basketball game when my daughter’s school played theirs. I introduced her as a girl I dated in Junior High, and I loved the look on my daughter’s face that I had ever dated anyone but her mother.

I then mentioned that even though she was a year younger than me, she had been much more mature than I was during the relationship. She looked totally shocked and disagreed with me completely. We had a laugh and then she asked where Dee was, and you could see them over there having an animated conversation, just thrilled to see each other.

For years I had gone on just sure she thought I was a “snake in the grass” so to speak, but found out that she was actually worried about what I thought of her.

As adults, we should be able to see clearly enough to get past the pettiness of our youth. 

We did a lot of things that would be considered offensive in adults, and had various prejudices that were basically untested things we had no experience with. We just took someone else’s word and hopped on the band wagon to belong. A grown adult should have learned long ago what is childish, and what is mature.

 

From the Bible, 1st Corinthians 13:11

 

"When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

 

Apologize if you must, but just grow up.

 

http://www.paulmccartney.com/

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_McCartney

----------------------

 

 

John Lennon

 

“When you're drowning, you don't say 'I would be incredibly pleased if someone would have the foresight to notice me drowning and come and help me,' you just scream.”

 

Desperation. Everything is hitting the fan and you don’t know what to do. It could even be a life threatening thing such as the drowning Mr. Lennon described. Now, what is your recourse in a time such as this? 

Are you ready, just in case? Or have you burned so many bridges to relationships that there is no one around to rescue you in that critical moment? Take a moment and analyze your behavior and see if you have the matches in your hand and are trying to destroy, in advance, any chance of rescue.

Are you tearing through life like a bull in a china shop breaking everything in sight, including relationships? If you take a more gentle path, maybe even help people when you can, there will be someone there ready to put their hand out in your most desperate hour.

Just because you are theoretically invincible now, doesn’t mean you always will be. As you age, you will get weaker in many ways, and it is a real jolt when you have been a mover and shaker in this world, and you find out that your moving and shaking is making less of a difference than it used to.

If you went through life only thinking of yourself, if you ran over others with impunity, never realizing your time was coming, you most likely will get what you deserve.

Others with your attitude will come along and grind you under their wheels in exactly the same manner, and there won’t be a single thing you can do about it.

If, on the other hand, you helped others as you made your journey, protecting them from the road warrior types, there will be grateful people around you who will help you when you are no longer able to defend yourself.

This brings to mind a bumper sticker I have seen a few times:  Be nice to your children because they will be picking your nursing home.

While there are more reasons to be nice to others than this, if you are totally selfish, at least be nice because of what it may mean to your own future.

 

The expected final quote:

 

"The great danger for family life, in the midst of any society whose idols are pleasure, comfort and independence, lies in the fact that people close their hearts and become selfish."

Pope John Paul II

 

http://www.johnlennon.com/

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lennon

 

Don't forget the show I do with my wife Dee, The WV Podcast!

 

SUBSCRIBE!  iTunes  Stitcher  Tunein

CHECK US OUT ON   Facebook  Twitter  Tumblr


Download this episode!

1 comment:

  1. Every podcast is another learning experience in our lives. Some of us do not stop and look at our own actions, due to the fact we are trying to find fault in someone else.

    ReplyDelete